Wednesday, June 15, 2011

a collaboration of fashion, food, and words

lace and denim
One thing I love about doing the laundry is that I can steal anyone's clothes - and, until I actually wear it, no one ever notices. Now, truth be told, I stole that shirt - from my mom. I stole it, I paired it with some denim shorts and forest-green, gold-studded flats, and I wore it proudly all around the house. 

shirt: mom's // shorts: forever21 // shoes: thrifted //
necklace: forever21 // earrings: anthropologie
Then, later, when we took a short trip over to Anthropologie, I literally ran into a worker, and after saying her apologies, I was delighted to hear her say how cute I looked. That's really something coming from someone who's covered head to toe in Anthropologie merchandise. 

strawberry-rhubarb crumble
I made an absolutely, scrumpdiddlyumpscious treat the other day. It's called strawberry-rhubarb crumble. And I got this wonderful recipe from this amazing lady whose photos never cease to make my mouth water every time I see them. So, do you want to know how to make 'em? (Oh, and for your information, the recipe calls for oatmeal, but somehow I skipped over it, realizing it was still on the table when I had just slipped the dish into the over. So, don't do the same, please.) :)

1. Gather flour, brown sugar, room temp butter, and salt and combine dry ingredients. Then add butter until substance is crumbly.
 2. Gather rhubarb and strawberries, sugar, and flour.
 3.  Peel off the outer skin of the rhubarb and cut off the ends. Cut the stalks into one-inch pieces, or enough to make 3 cupfuls. Hull the berries, and cut in half. Then toss the fruit together with the sugar and flour until evenly coated.
 4. Place the fruit in a 9x9" baking dish. Sprinkle the topping over the fruit until evenly coated. Bake for 1 hour, or until bubbly, brown and crisp.
 (The crumble looked so yummy that I forgot to take a picture of it on a plate - until after it was long gone.) :)


Crisp Topping
1 cup toasted slivered almonds (optional)
1 cup flour
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
Pinch of salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup oatmeal
Fruit Filling
6 stalks rhubarb
1 1/2 pints of strawberries
6 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons flour
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine flour, brown sugar, salt, oatmeal, and almonds. Mix the softened, room temperature butter into the flour mixture with a fork or with your fingers until crumbly.
Peel off outer skin of rhubarb and cut off the ends. Cut stalks in one-inch pieces, enough to make three cupfuls. Hull the berries, cut in half. Toss fruit together with the sugar and flour until evenly coated. Place the fruit in a 9×9″ baking dish. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the fruit. Bake for 1 hour, or until bubbly, brown and crisp.

etsy
You may or may not have known that I started an etsy a few months ago, but I did. If you didn't know about it, well you have good reason, because it contained but one item and I did nothing whatsoever to advertise it. Until now. Yesterday I added 10 new items that I hope you will like. Head on over and let me know what you think! (I have a showcase on the side if you didn't already notice it.)

That's all for now, friends!
Charming Elephant

0 comments:

Post a Comment