Wednesday, August 10, 2011

[the words i love] guest post by Margaret Free


Well, today's the day. By the time you read this, I will have already transfered from one long plane ride to another. I'll be reading books, trying to sleep, and of course, taking lots of pictures along next to my mother and brother. And hopefully this little suitcase will be riding along.


I found a few lovely people to keep you some company while I am away, and today is Margaret Free - enjoy!

--------------

I am a writer. Not the kind that has her books published, or the one who can put anything to words brilliantly, but the kind that simply writes. I love writing.

I love the words that are the foundations of the act. When I come across an attractive, unfamiliar one while reading, I pause and ponder it . . . wonder how/when I'll use it.

My favorite words are the ones that perfectly embody their meanings. This should be a given for every last word, but it isn't quite. There are just some words that are better at their work than others!

These are some of my favorites:

Clairvoyant - adjective -Having or claiming to have the power of seeing objects or actions beyond the range of natural vision.


I love how this word rings in my mind. It's so expansive, if that makes sense.
~~~

Wanderlust - noun - A strong, innate desire to rove or travel about.


It sounds like it belongs in an epic poem.
~~~

Visage - noun - The face; countenance


Okay, anything derived from French it pretty neat, no? I like how sharp and concise this word is.
~~~

Caprice - noun - A sudden, unpredictable change, as of one's mind or the weather.


So carefree and happy . . . whimsical.
~~~

Vagabond - noun - A person, usually without a permanent home, who wanders from place to place; nomad.


I think that everyone has a secret desire to be a vagabond.
~~~

Intrinsic - adjective - Belonging to a thing by its very nature.


It's such a delicate word, just like the nuances that make up our personalities.
~~~

Affinity - noun - A natural liking for or attraction to a person, thing, idea, etc.


This one has the same quality as clairvoyant; expressive.
~~~

Volition - noun- The act of willing, choosing, or resolving; exercise of willing.


I like how daring volition is. This word is the working title of the novel I'm writing.
~~~
Thank you dictionary.com!

So there are a few - believe me, I have many more! - of my most-loved words. I haven't used each one in normal conversation or writing, but I will. Someday.

Do you have some favorites of your own?

-----------


Hi there! My name's Margaret, and I love fresh air, the color green, good art, and my little sister. I blog at Hello, World about photography, writing, life . . . that sort of thing. I'm so pleased to meet you!

2 comments:

  1. Interesting post, and I learned new words(: Great photography!
    <3Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post! Incredible photography! I really love your blog!

    http://withmiracle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete